The Environmental Health and sanitation unit of the assembly upon receiving several numerous complaints from the community has embarked on stray animals arrest in collaboration with the Assembly members and committee within the District.
Following the persistent public complaints from residents on the destruction and nuisance caused by stray animals on streets, damage to crops, defecate in public space special exercise, the Unit arrested stray animals into the Assembly pound on 28th February, 2023.
To ensure that movement of domestic animals are restricted (sheep and goats) by owners to prevent outbreak of zoonotic diseases, stop destruction to farms, gardens, goods and services and also generate IGF for the Akrofuom District Assembly.
The exercise started on the 23rd day of August, 2022, at 5:00 am in a day.
Team members were made up of three (3) Environmental health Officers, One (1) driver and four (2) labourers.
- Total number of stray animals (sheep and goats) arrested : 14
- Total number of sheep arrested : 5
- Total number of goats arrested : 9
- Most people rearing animals in the community did not comply with the bye-laws on stray animals in the District.
- Insufficient labourers to impound stray animals.
- Obstruction by the people in the community towards team members from arresting these animals.
- The Unit should embark on house to house inspection and persons who would be found rearing cattle, pigs and other domestic animals without permit to face prosecution.
- Recalcitrant should be prosecuted.
- Sufficient labourers should be employed by the assembly in the arrest of these anaimals.