REPORT ON A HEALTH EDUCATION CARRIED OUT AT THE AKROFUOM D/A PRIMARY SCHOOL IN THE AKROFUOM DISTRICT
Date: 8th November, 2022
Arrival time: 8:00am
Mrs Mercy Appiah
Miss Mamuna Abu
SHEP Coordinator: Mr. Richard Asiamah
Pupils’ population 64
Environmental Health Officers at Akrofuom District as part of their itinerary for the first quarter embarked in a health education exercise at the Akrofuom D /A Primary School in the Akrofuom District. The exercise was geared by two Environmental Officers and one National Personnel. The exercise started at exactly 8:00am and ended at 9:00am
Health Education focused on the menstrual cycle among female adolescents. The main objectives were
- To promote personal hygiene practise among female adolescents during their menstrual cycle.
- To promote proper dieting during menstrual cycle period
- To create awareness on proper way to dispose sanitary pads.
All female pupils from Stage Four to Stage Six were gathered in a classroom. The total number of pupils gathered were 64. We targeted pupils in such classes because they have little or no knowledge about personal hygiene practises during menstruation.
The pupils were educated in;
- What menstrual cycle in females is
- How to manage menstrual pains
- Materials to be used during menstruation
- How to dispose used sanitary materials/pad
The education ended at exactly 9:00am in the morning. Officers allowed for questions from pupils and the needed answers were provided. It is advised that such education is given from time to time.